Waterproofing and Tanking Basement soultions

Waterproofing and tanking

Call Peter Cox on 0800 633 5712  * or Contact Us Online

The UK's leading property care experts with 70+ years experience

CHAS accreditation demonstrates excellent health & safety standards

Open Mon-Thurs till 6pm and Fridays till 5pm

Waterproofing and tanking

Waterproofing and tanking are two terms that are often used to describe treatments and solutions for water ingress and damp problems in structures below the ground.

From basements and cellars to underground car parks and new builds with earth retaining walls, there are a multitude of domestic and commercial uses for structural waterproofing and tanking. But what exactly do these terms mean?

What is tanking?

Tanking involves the internal or external application of a waterproof material directly onto the walls, floor and sometimes the ceiling of an underground space. This material will create a barrier to prevent moisture from getting into the basement, cellar or any room that requires damp proofing solutions to solve damp problems and other issues related to water getting into your property.
The level of protection that tanking can provide depends on a few factors such as the levels of hydrostatic pressure surrounding the property and any external movements or vibrations that could cause cracks or damage to the tanking material.

That said, if the environment is suitable and the tanking is applied correctly, then it would be an effective method of keeping a space dry.

Other names for tanking include “cementitious waterproofing” and “Type A Waterproofing”. When construction and tanking specialists use these terms they are usually talking about a waterproof or tanking product, typically cementitious or bitumen, that is painted directly onto the retained walls and floors to prevent water penetration.

Additionally, tanking can also mean the application of cavity drain membranes to provide a more sturdy waterproof barrier.


Waterproofing is a very general term that includes tanking. However, when most people use the term to describe the waterproofing of a room in a home or commercial premises it highly likely that they are referring to a water management system also known as “Type C Waterproofing”.

These waterproofing systems are a modern combination of structural waterproofing membrane, perimeter drainage channels and sump pumps that capture, channel and pump away any water ingress. These combined parts can work completely “behind the scenes” so they are perfectly suitable for a project such as a cellar conversion or waterproofing a basement flat for example.

There are other methods of waterproofing such as Type B integrated systems, but these are usually reserved for construction projects. Meanwhile, cavity drain membrane and sump pumps can be installed to provide waterproof solutions in not just new build waterproofing projects, but also remedial waterproofing systems. .

What is the difference between waterproofing and tanking?

Tanking is a category within waterproofing that refers explicitly to the use of either cementitious slurry or membrane barrier protection. The term waterproofing is more typically used to describe any type of system or damp proofing measure used to protect your home from rising damp, penetrating damp, leaks, and other types of water ingress.

Industry professionals typically refer to damp proofing measures when talking about protecting rooms above ground, while waterproofing is usually reserved for discussing systems and products used to keep water out of basements, cellars and other rooms below ground.

Professional waterproofing and tanking specialists

If you have a space underground that is suffering from water ingress and damp then you can count on Peter Cox. We have applied various waterproofing and tanking solutions to projects ranging from domestic renovations to large commercial works such as car parks, tunnels and new builds. Whatever you project entails, if it needs professional waterproofing it needs Peter Cox.

The first step is to book a survey from one of our professional surveyors, who can identify the causes of water ingress, and advise on the cost and type of work which needs to be carried out. You can contact our expert team or fill out our online contact form and we will get back to you.
Peter Cox have local branches all over the UK so one of our waterproofing and tanking experts will always be near by.

Contact Us

Next Steps

*Survey enquiries for your local branch will be directed to our dedicated central survey control teams across the UK. Calls to 0800 and 0808 numbers are free unless you are calling from a business phone, in which case the rate will be set by your provider.