Stachybotrys chartarum, is a mould known to be toxic. It can grow inside people’s homes and can be very dangerous to humans due to the toxins it produces.
Where does Toxic Mould grow?
This kind of mould growth is usually the consequence of inadequate heating, insulation and ventilation. You would normally find it in hidden places where there may have been a water leak and damp, commonly in floor boards, above ceilings or inside walls. Toxic black mould doesn’t grow very fast compared to other moulds, however once it has grown, it usually takes over its environment when left untreated.
Why is Toxic Mould harmful to our health?
Some of the common symptoms of someone who has come into contact with toxic moulds are:
- Respiratory problems, especially for those who suffer with asthma, are very young, or the elderly.
- Irritation of the skin, causing skin to become inflamed.
- It can also cause damage to a human’s internal organs.
Toxic mould can be so harmful that it can cause permanent damage to a person’s health.
The problem is there are several other types of mould that look very similar to the toxic moulds, meaning some people may not get it checked out as quickly as they should, which could result in causing more damage to their health without even realising it.
Identifying and treating Toxic Mould
Please DO NOT try to treat Toxic mould yourself! We do not want you harming your health. Here at Peter Cox we have a specialised team of experts who have partnered up with a specialist laboratory who can come and test the mould to see whether or not if it is toxic and if so, treat the mould safely.
If you would like to find out more, visit our Toxic mould detection page.