Why move when you can improve your home?
If you’ve got an unused cellar or basement, you could transform your home by turning it into an additional habitable space. And increase the value of the property into the bargain. Traditionally cellars and basements were often left as rather damp, dingy spaces and not completed to the same level of finish as the rest of the house.
But to convert them into warm dry habitable accommodation, rooms below ground level need to be given special treatment to keep out moisture from the surrounding ground.
Especially so in low lying areas of the country or where water tables are higher than normal.
Peter Cox can offer a full project management package from design to completion including:
- Designs and plans
- Local Authority approvals (if needed)
- Waterproofing system to walls and floor (guaranteed for 10 years*)
- Flooring – cement screed or chipboard
- Plastering or dry lining to the walls and ceiling
- Partition walls if required
All except finished flooring (wood floors, vinyl or carpeting), soft furnishings, light fittings and decorations
* This guarantee only applies to waterproofing systems installed in accordance with the current British Standard BS 8102. We recommend nothing less for residential basement conversions.
Peter Cox use two alternative methods for waterproofing the walls and floor:
- A multi coat sand and cement render with special waterproof additives designed to withstand the water pressure from outside.
- A dry lining cavity drainage membrane system designed to channel any moisture into a sump and pump system and then safely away out of the building. With this system the guarantee is conditional upon the pump being serviced annually.
Each system has its advantages and our surveyor will advise which is best suited to your property.
Once the waterproof structure has been created, the room is either plastered or dry lined, the floor structure laid, partitions added where required and electrical and plumbing connections made.
All this is co-ordinated under the one contract.
““ The service provided from start to finish was excellent. Survey information was very clear and was a key factor in purchasing the house!“
J Simpson, Urmston
April 14th, 2011