The third mould we are going to discuss in our series of ‘Moulds in the house’ is Black Mould.
While there are many types of black mould, and most of these are not toxic. Stachybotrys chartarum is a variety of mould that can cause health problems. Black mould produces mycotoxins. These toxic compounds can make you ill if you touch them or breathe them in. Many mild to severe health issues can result from exposure to black mould. These can include coughing, sneezing, breathing issues including asthma attacks, sinus problems, watery eyes, sore throats, fatigue and even depression. The risks are greater for children, elderly people, and the infirm, especially with respiratory conditions or immune deficiencies.
Even so, black mould can make healthy adults and animals ill. Your pets can get sick from exposure to stachybotrys chartarum. It likes to grow in damp places, and can for instance live in air conditioner ducts so that you breathe in the toxins.
For more information about mould, visit our toxic mould detection page.
Alternatively you can discuss your property or arrange a consultation with us. To get in touch, find with your nearest office of Peter Cox Property Services here https://www.petercox.com/regions.php or you can also call 0800 789 500 to talk to the experts and we’ll send a surveyor with local knowledge of your area.