Dampness within your property means your walls may become cold, which could possibly lead to condensation, and the development of mould.
Moulds are known to produce allergens and irritants, as well as potentially toxic substances that can be ingested by humans through their airways or skin.
If touched or breathed in, people can suffer from allergy type reactions, similar to those caused by hay fever (these may include coughing, wheezing, runny nose and itchy eyes). The health implications of mould can be even worse for people who suffer with respiratory conditions such as asthma.
A recent news item from www.thisislocallondon.co.uk, explains how a man from South London experienced health problems due to untreated mould in his flat.
According to the story, the man was left with a ‘tight chest and cough’ due to the mould and fungus that had been growing in his flat caused by rising damp.
You can read the full article here.
If you spot any type of damp in your home, it is crucial to regain control of the amount of moisture that could be entering and exiting your home. A dry home is a healthy home and mould cannot grow if the home is dry.
Here at Peter Cox, we offer both damp proofing and condensation control techniques to get your home back in order. For more information and help about black mould in the home contact our experts on 0808 273 2138 or arrange for an expert to visit your property and conduct a damp and condensation survey by completing our online form.